The World Ocean Council (WOC) is working along with its community to advance ocean sustainable development, science and stewardship of the sea. WOC Members are leadership organizations engaged for “Corporate Ocean Responsibility.” To increase the level of individual engagement in ocean sustainability, the WOC is now opening its membership community to individuals, as Affiliate Members. This new membership category is designed for individuals who do not represent a particular organization.
About the Affiliate (Individual) Membership
Ready to play their part in ocean sustainability, Affiliate Members also believe that the business community plays a central role in stewardship of the oceans. They represent themselves and thus show their personal commitment to a sustainable ocean by joining the WOC. Affiliate Members contribute to a healthy and productive global ocean, and help promote its sustainable use.
WOC Affiliate Members are fully engaged in the WOC community. They uphold the WOC “Ocean Responsibility Statement” and are invited to participate in WOC events, announcements and actions. Affiliate Members are part of a cross-sectoral community bringing together leaders from various ocean industries, including shipping, oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, renewable energy (wind, wave, tidal), ports, dredging, cables, as well as the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities, and others, who collaborate on responsible use of the seas.
Affiliate registration fees are US$250 per year (12 months). Your support, as an Affiliate Member, is very important to us. It helps us to reinforce our influence on the global ocean agenda and make sure the business community is an integral part of the decision-making process on the future of the Ocean. Your voice, as an individual from the ocean community, will join many others to foster ocean sustainable development.
Benefits of Membership
Affiliate Members enjoy benefits similar to WOC Organization Members, including:
- Opportunities to network with other WOC Members at national, regional and international levels.
- Business development opportunities for companies offering environmentally friendly goods and services related to ocean industries.
- Involvement in key international conferences. The WOC facilitates Member involvement in key national and international ocean policy and management fora.
- Participation in any WOC working group or program (Marine Sound, Sustainable Development Goals, Regional Business Councils, etc.) as a participant or leader. More information on these opportunities can be found throughout our website.
- Receipt of WOC publications, documents and promotional materials.
- Reduced registration fee for the WOC “Sustainable Ocean Summit” and other WOC organized events.
- Access to the members-only content of the WOC website, including reports on ocean sustainability, policy, and emerging issues, as well as other developments affecting the future of ocean business.
- Direct access to WOC expertise and advisory services on ocean issues, stakeholders and policy developments.
WOC communication materials mention Organization Members’ names and display logo or branding visuals of WOC Organization Members only.
If you would like to be represented in WOC communication materials or become involved in the governance of the WOC, please consider having your organization join as a Member. The WOC Board of Directors positions are open only to WOC Organization Members.
How to Join the WOC as an Affiliate Member
Affiliate Member registration is a simple process. After fill out an information form, Affiliate Members can join the WOC through an online credit card payment system. A confirmation email will be sent within a few days, establishing the annual membership.