World Ocean Council (WOC, Main Consultant) and Five Oceans Environmental Services LLC (5OES, Sub-consultant) are seeking a business development professional for a short-term, full-time consultancy with a duration of 5 months.
Carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution is slowly dissolving into the oceans, which has so far absorbed around a third of all emissions. Among the detrimental impacts of this absorption is ocean acidification. The ocean is therefore central to understanding and potentially managing the carbon cycle at planetary scales, including options for carbon dioxide reduction (CDR). Two pathways holding significant potential for CDR are together known as ocean alkalinity enhancement (OAE). OAE is i) the addition of alkaline materials such as ultramafic rocks and lime, and ii) electrochemical processes. The project will review available information, develop a working group of industry stakeholders to be consulted as the project develops, and engage with subject matter experts for a balanced consensus of the technology readiness of these two pathways.
The outcome of this project will be two business plans, one for each pathway. These business plans will:
- Set out the current level of technology development
- Map the ecosystem in which they would operate
- Identify gaps to fill for the technologies to be applied at scale
- Identify constraints in the respective supply chains
This techno-economic evaluation will define business opportunities for stakeholders and investors to assess the potential to commercialize these climate change mitigation strategies. The project will conclude in Q3 2022.
Self-lead but in regular communication with project managers at WOC and 5OES, the Business Development role will have a strong Project Management focus, being responsible for planning, executing, monitoring, controlling and closing the project. The role will develop and foster strong relationships with stakeholders to support an ambitious and innovative carbon removal strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a thought partner on the project’s strategy
- Collaborate and coordinate with all functions of the business to develop project plans and to monitor/track progress and delivery
- Manage changes to project scope and schedule whilst liaising with other stakeholders
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with the research, development and business innovation
- Co-author business plans (x2) for two pathways relating to Ocean Alkalinity Enhancement
Who you are:
- Understand and believe in sustainability and negative emissions technologies as a critical element in climate change mitigation
- Financially literate with a commercial mindset and an attention to detail
- Skilled at problem-solving, critical thinking, multitasking and project management
- Able to work autonomously and thrive in a variable, dynamic start-up environment
- Ability to frame/scope opportunities into clear and executable deliverables
- Ability to prioritise competing priorities
- Science, Engineering and/or Business background
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a one-page cover letter and a 2-3 page CV by 27 May 2022 to:
About the World Ocean Council (WOC):
A global, multi-sectoral alliance for Corporate Ocean Responsibility, the World Ocean Council brings together the diverse ocean business community to collaborate on a shared vision of a healthy and productive ocean and its sustainable use and stewardship by responsible businesses. Member companies belong to a diverse set of sectors, including shipping, offshore oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, offshore renewable energy, ports, dredging, submarine cables, ocean science, technology and data, as well as the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities. The WOC network is made up of 34,000+ ocean industry stakeholders around the world.
About Five Oceans Environmental Services LLC (5OES):
Five Oceans Environmental Services (5OES) is an environmental consultancy specialising in coastal and marine projects based in the Arabian Gulf region with offices in Oman and UK. Core activities include advisory services in the fields of biodiversity, coastal management and climate change, shallow coastal habitat survey and mapping services, environmental impact assessment and environmental monitoring.